Mathematics at Parkhill Infants' School
Without mathematics, there’s nothing you can do. Everything around you is mathematics. Everything around you is numbers.
- Shakuntala Devi
Mathematics is not a language. It's an adventure.
- Paul Lockhart
It is our intent that our children learn to make sense of the world around them through developing their ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. At Parkhill Infants we want our children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives.
Within our teaching and learning of Mathematics we use the White Rose Scheme of work which allows us to provide children with the opportunity to explore mathematics using a range of concrete, abstract and pictorial resources. Children understand the concepts of arithmetic and gain fluency in reasoning and problem solving, allowing them to reach the mastery level of Mathematics.
Our Mathematics VISION
At Parkhill Infants our aim is for children to be confident, skilled and resilient mathematicians, who understand that mathematics is a fundamental part of everyday life and the world we live in.
At Parkhill Infants we aim to:
- promote enjoyment and enthusiasm for learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion;
- promote confidence and competence with numbers and the number system;
- develop the ability to solve problems through decision-making and reasoning in a range of contexts;
- develop a practical understanding of the ways in which information is gathered and presented;
- explore features of shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts;
- understand the importance of mathematics in everyday life.
Our Mathletics Achievement Wall
The school subscribes to Mathletics, an online program which allows children to access learning outside of school. It is used for homework in KS1, and teachers set the children challenges to complete - certificates are awarded for every child who takes part in a challenge and we have an awards board in the main corridor to celebrate their success. We are also setting each child up with an individual subscription to Espresso Education, which has many maths resources for children to use.
If your child does not have a note of their userID and password please contact the school office.
I use Espresso to help me with maths - Yianni, Y1
I like challenges and next steps - Zachary, Y2
If I need help I can go to my teacher for help - Y1 pupil
Your education should help you use and develop your talents and abilities.
- Article 29, UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
Useful Online Resources for budding mathematicians!
Maths Lessons, Tips and Games
Fun Maths Activities
Lots of Maths resources and help